DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-4031 Fence Erectors
Occupational Description:Erect and repair fences and fence gates, using hand and power tools.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Brickmasons and Blockmasons||1,100||$32.10/hr||47.2%|
|Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers||370||$29.43/hr||62.3%|
Tasks for Fence Erectors
- Sets metal or wooden post in upright position in posthole.
- Lays out fence line, using tape measure and marks positions for postholes.
- Aligns posts, using line or by sighting, and verifies vertical alignment of posts with plumb bob or spirit level.
- Digs postholes with spade, posthole digger, or power-driven auger.
- Saws required lengths of lumber to make rails for wooden fence.
- Assembles gate and fastens gate in position, using hand tools.
- Mixes and pours concrete around base of post or tamps soil into posthole to embed post.
- Erects alternate panel, basket weave, and louvered fences.
- Nails pointed slats to rails to construct picket fence.
- Blasts rock formations with dynamite to facilitate digging of postholes.
- Welds metal parts together, using portable gas welding equipment.
- Cuts metal tubing, using pipe cutter.
- Completes top fence rail of metal fence by connecting tube sections, using metal sleeves.
- Attaches rails or tension wire along bottoms of posts to form fencing frame.
- Stretches wire, wire mesh, or chain link fencing between posts.
- Nails top and bottom rails to fence posts, or inserts them in slots on posts.
- Attaches fencing to frame.
- Inserts metal tubing through rail supports.
- Attaches fencerail support to post, using hammer and pliers.