DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3022 Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
Occupational Description:Replace or repair broken windshields and window glass in motor vehicles.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
Tasks for Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Installs precut replacement glass to replace curved or custom-shaped windows.
- Removes broken or damaged glass windshield or window-glass from motor vehicles, using hand tools to remove screws from frame holding glass.
- Applies moisture-proofing compound along glass edges and installs glass into windshield- or glass-frame in door or side panel of vehicle.
- Installs rubber-channeling strip around edge of glass or frame to weather-proof or to prevent rattling.
- Replaces or adjusts motorized or manual window-raising mechanisms.
- Obtains windshield for specific automobile make and model from stock and examines for defects prior to installation.
- Holds cut or uneven edge of glass against automated abrasive belt to shape or smooth edges.
- Cuts flat safety glass according to specified pattern, using glass-cutter.