DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3053 Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
Occupational Description:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, recreational sporting equipment and related equipment.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||N/A||N/A||$18.72/hr||$1.01/hr||$12.46/hr||$16.07/hr||$18.89/hr||$21.81/hr||$23.61/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||2,880||$22.31/hr||N/A|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers||990||$25.38/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||290||$26.27/hr||N/A|
|Locksmiths and Safe Repairers||110||$23.98/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Repairs or replaces defective parts, such as water pump, carburetor, thermostat, gears, solenoid, pistons, valves, and crankshaft, using hand tools.
- Records repairs made, time spent, and parts used.
- Positions and bolts engine to engine stand.
- Grinds, reams, rebores, and retaps parts to obtain specified clearances, using grinders, lathes, taps, reamers, boring machines, and micrometer.
- Tests and inspects engine to determine malfunctions and locate missing and broken parts, using diagnostic instruments.
- Repairs and maintains gas internal-combustion engines that power electric generators, compressor, and similar equipment.
- Tests and repairs magnetos used in gasoline and diesel engines, using meters, gauges, and hand tools.
- Repairs and maintains portable saws powered by internal combustion engines, following manufacturer's repair manuals and using hand tools.
- Dismantles engines, using hand tools, examines parts for defects, and cleans parts.
- Reassembles engines and listens to engines in action to detect operational difficulties.
- Tests and repairs turbo or superchargers.
- Repairs fractional-horsepower gasoline engines used to power lawn mowers, garden tractors, and similar machines.
- Adjusts points, valves, carburetor, distributor and spark plug gaps, using feeler gauges.