DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-9094 Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
Occupational Description:Repair and open locks; make keys; change locks and safe combinations; and install and repair safes.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||10||1||$21.22/hr||$0.42/hr||$12.99/hr||$14.23/hr||$22.82/hr||$26.85/hr||$29.53/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers||260||$22.93/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||20||$14.14/hr||N/A|
|Coin, Vending, and Amusement Machine Servicers and Repairers||N/A||$16.77/hr||N/A|
|Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics||N/A||$17.17/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
- Disassembles mechanical or electrical locking devices and repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools.
- Moves picklock in cylinder to open door locks without keys.
- Opens safe locks by drilling.
- Keeps record of company locks and keys.
- Removes interior and exterior finishes on safes and vaults and sprays on new finishes.
- Inserts new or repaired tumblers into lock to change combination.
- Repairs and adjusts safes, vault doors, and vault components, using hand tools, lathes, drill presses, and welding and acetylene cutting apparatus.
- Cuts new or duplicate keys, using keycutting machine.
- Installs safes, vault doors, and deposit boxes according to blueprints, using equipment such as powered drills, taps, dies, truck crane, and dolly.