DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-3023 Slaughterers and Meat Packers
Occupational Description:Work in slaughtering, meat packing, or wholesale establishments performing precision functions involving the preparation of meat. Work may include specialized slaughtering tasks, cutting standard or premium cuts of meat for marketing, making sausage, or wrapping meats. Excludes “Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers" (51-3022) who perform routine meat cutting.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||300||$16.81/hr||N/A|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||290||$9.11/hr||N/A|
|Farmworkers, Farm and Ranch Animals||80||$9.43/hr||N/A|
|Cutters and Trimmers, Hand||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Trims headmeat and otherwise severs or removes parts of animals heads or skulls.
- Trims, cleans, and/or cures animal hides.
- Grinds meat into sausage.
- Slaughters animals in accordance with religious law and determines that carcasses meet specified religious standards when slaughtering is performed for religious purposes.
- Slits open, eviscerates, and trims carcasses of slaughtered animals.
- Cuts, trims, skins, sorts, and washes viscera of slaughtered animals to separate edible portions from offal.
- Washes and/or shaves carcasses.
- Shackles hind legs of animals to raise them for slaughtering or skinning.
- Severs jugular vein to drain blood and facilitate slaughtering.
- Saws, splits, or scribes slaughtered animals to reduce carcasses.
- Skins sections of animals or whole animals.
- Removes bone and cuts meat into standard cuts to prepare meat for marketing.
- Wraps dressed carcasses and/or meat cuts.
- Stuns animals prior to slaughtering.