DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-3091 Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
Occupational Description:Operate or tend food or tobacco roasting, baking, or drying equipment, including hearth ovens, kiln driers, roasters, char kilns, and vacuum drying equipment.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||30||6||$16.24/hr||$1.36/hr||$11.93/hr||$13.12/hr||$14.94/hr||$20.41/hr||$22.37/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||80||$14.86/hr||N/A|
|Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders||40||$14.16/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Observes temperature, humidity, and pressure gauges, or product, and adjusts controls and turns valves to maintain prescribed operating conditions.
- Cleans equipment, with steam, hot water, and hose.
- Takes sample of product during or after process for laboratory analysis.
- Installs equipment, such as spray unit, cutting blades, or screens, using hand tools.
- Pushes racks or carts to transfer product to storage or for further processing.
- Clears or dislodges blockages in bins, screens, or other equipment, using pole, brush, or mallet.
- Observes and listens for machine malfunctions, and notifies supervisor when corrective actions fail.
- Records production data, such as weight and amount of product processed, type of product, and time and temperature of processing.
- Reads work order to determine quantity and type of product to be baked, dried, or roasted.
- Fills or removes product from trays, carts, hoppers, or equipment, using scoop, peel, or shovel, or by hand.
- Weighs product, using scale hopper or scale conveyor.
- Observes, feels, or tastes products after processing to ensure products conform to standards.
- Smoothes out product in bin, tray, or conveyor, using rake or shovel.
- Tests product for moisture content, using moisture meter.
- Opens valve, discharge gates, or hopper chutes, to load or remove product from oven or equipment.
- Sets temperature and time controls, lights ovens or gas burners, and starts equipment, such as conveyors, blowers, driers, or pumps.