DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4022 Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend forging machines to taper, shape, or form metal or plastic parts.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||250||$11.42/hr||N/A|
|Tool and Die Makers||40||$23.71/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||30||$16.45/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Starts machine, produces sample workpiece, and observes operations to detect machine malfunction and ensure setup conforms to specifications.
- Reads blueprints to determine specified tolerances and sequence of operations to set up machines.
- Positions and moves metal wire or workpiece through series of dies to compress and shape stock to form die impressions.
- Marks layout, verifies dimensions, and measures, weighs and inspects machined parts to ensure conformance to product specifications.
- Confers with other workers regarding setup and operational specifications of machines.
- Sharpens cutting tools and drill bits, using bench grinder.
- Adjust temperature controls of furnace in which rods are heated.
- Trims and compresses finished forgings to specified tolerances.
- Installs and adjusts or removes and replaces dies, synchronizing cams, forging hammer, and stop guides, according to specifications.
- Selects, aligns, and bolts positioning fixtures and stops and specified dies to ram and anvil, forging rolls, or presses and hammers.
- Turns handles or knobs to set pressure and depth of ram stroke, and synchronize machine operations.