DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4023 Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend machines to roll steel or plastic forming bends, beads, knurls, rolls, or plate or to flatten, temper, or reduce gauge of material.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||320||140||$15.99/hr||$1.24/hr||$10.28/hr||$11.73/hr||$15.42/hr||$20.56/hr||$22.60/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||230||$17.07/hr||N/A|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||200||$13.48/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||170||$16.71/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||90||$16.69/hr||N/A|
|Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||70||$16.86/hr||N/A|
|Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||10||$19.05/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Starts operation of rolling and milling machines to flatten, temper, form, and reduce sheet metal sections and produce steel strips.
- Installs equipment, such as guides, guards, gears, cooling equipment and rolls, using hand tools.
- Examines, inspects, measures, and feels raw materials and finished product to verify conformance to specifications, visually or using measurement instruments.
- Fills oil cups, adjusts valves, and observes gauges to control flow of metal coolant and lubricants onto workpiece.
- Signals and assists other workers to remove and position equipment, fill hoppers, and feed materials into machine.
- Directs and trains other workers to change rolls, operate mill equipment, remove coils and cobbles, and band and load material.
- Records mill production on schedule sheet.
- Removes scratches and polishes roll surface, using polishing stone and electric buffer.
- Disassembles sizing mills removed from rolling line, and sorts and stores parts.
- Activates shear and grinder to trim workpiece, cut steel strips, and monitor forming of gears to specified length and diameter.
- Threads or feeds sheets or rods through rolling mechanism, or starts and controls mechanism that automatically feeds steel into rollers.
- Calculates draft space and roll speed for each mill stand to plan rolling sequence and specified dimensions and temper.
- Reads rolling order and mill schedules to determine setup specifications, work sequence, product dimensions, and installation procedures.
- Positions, aligns, and secures arbor, spindle, coils, mandrel, dies, and slitting knives onto machine.
- Resets, adjusts, and corrects machine set-up to reduce thickness, reshape products, and eliminate product defects.
- Monitors machine cycles and mill operation to detect jamming and to ensure fabricated products conform to specifications.
- Sets distance points between rolls, guides, meters, and stops, according to specifications.
- Selects rolls, dies, roll stands, and chucks from data charts to form specified contours and to fabricate products.
- Manipulates controls and observes dial indicators to monitor, adjust, and regulate speed of machine mechanisms.