DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4051 Metal-Refining Furnace Operators and Tenders
Occupational Description:Operate or tend furnaces, such as gas, oil, coal, electric-arc or electric induction, open-hearth, or oxygen furnaces, to melt and refine metal before casting or to produce specified types of steel. Excludes “Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic" (51-4191).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||170||$15.79/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||70||$16.15/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||30||$12.53/hr||N/A|
|Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||N/A||$14.42/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Metal-Refining Furnace Operators and Tenders
- Manipulates controls to ignite burners, adjust fuel mixtures, open and close furnace doors, or to load and discharge materials into or from furnace.
- Regulates supply of fuel and air or controls flow of electric current and water coolant to heat furnaces.
- Observes color and fluidity of molten metal and obtains test sample of metal from furnace or kettle for analysis.
- Sprinkles chemicals over molten metal to bring impurities to surface and removes impurities, using strainers.
- Inspects furnace and equipment for defects and wear and directs work-crew in cleaning and repairing furnace walls and flooring.
- Draws smelted metal samples from furnace for analysis and calculates type and amount of material required to correct smelting process.
- Scrapes accumulations of metal oxides from floors, molds, and crucibles and sifts and stores for reclamation.
- Weighs materials to be charged into furnace or to maintain prescribed weight, using scales.
- Records data and maintains production logs.
- Examines and prepares material to load into furnace, including cleaning, crushing, or applying chemicals, using crushing-machine, shovel, rake, or sprayer.
- Analyzes metal test sample, according to specific instructions and for specific and for specific element content.
- Drains, transfers, or removes molten metal from furnace or into molds by hoist or pumps or ladles.
- Observes inside of furnace operations by television screen and operates controls to move or discharge metal workpiece.
- Observes air and temperature gauges or metal color and turns fuel valves or adjusts controls to maintain required temperature.
- Kindles fire and shovels fuels and other materials into furnaces or onto conveyors by hand, with hoists, or by directing crane operator.