DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4081 Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend more than one type of cutting or forming machine tool or robot.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||290||96||$18.18/hr||$0.44/hr||$13.18/hr||$15.30/hr||$18.68/hr||$21.24/hr||$22.73/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||710||$18.77/hr||N/A|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||420||$15.64/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||310||$17.01/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||130||$16.45/hr||N/A|
|Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||130||$17.06/hr||N/A|
|Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||50||$19.75/hr||N/A|
|Maintenance Workers, Machinery||40||$18.40/hr||N/A|
|Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||40||$16.25/hr||N/A|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||N/A||$19.40/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Sets up and operates lathes, cutters, borers, millers, grinders, presses, drills, and auxiliary machines to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
- Moves controls or mounts gears, cams, or templates in machine to set feed rate and cutting speed, depth, and angle.
- Monitors machine operation and moves controls to align and adjust position of workpieces and action of cutting tools.
- Selects, installs, and adjusts alignment of drills, cutters, dies, guides, and holding devices, using template, measuring instruments, and hand tools.
- Starts machine and turns handwheels or valves to engage feeding, cooling, and lubricating mechanisms.
- Reads blueprint or job order to determine product specifications and tooling instructions and to plan operational sequences.
- Measures and marks reference points and cutting lines on workpiece, using traced templates, compasses, and rules.
- Computes data, such as gear dimensions and machine settings, applying knowledge of shop mathematics.
- Inspects first-run workpieces and verifies conformance to specifications to check accuracy of machine setup.
- Lifts, positions, and secures workpieces in holding devices, using hoists and hand tools.
- Makes minor electrical and mechanical repairs and adjustments to machines, and notifies supervisor when major service is required.
- Records operational data such as pressure readings, length of stroke, feeds, and speeds.
- Instructs operators or other workers in machine setup and operation.
- Activates and tends or operates machines to cut, shape, thread, bore, drill, tap, bend, or mill metal or non- metallic material.
- Observes machine operation to detect workpiece defects or machine malfunction.
- Positions, adjusts, and secures workpiece against stops, on arbor, or in chuck, fixture, or automatic feeding mechanism manually or using hoist.
- Reads job specifications to determine machine adjustments and material requirements.
- Aligns layout marks with die or blade.
- Extracts or lifts jammed pieces from machine, using fingers, wire hooks, or lift bar.
- Inspects workpiece for defects and measures workpiece, using rule, template, or other measuring instruments to determine accuracy of machine operation.
- Adjusts machine components and changes worn accessories, such as cutting tools and brushes, using hand tools.
- Sets machine stops or guides to specified length as indicated by scale, rule or template.
- Installs machine components, such as chucks, boring bars, or cutting tools, according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Removes burrs, sharp edges, rust, or scale from workpiece, using file, hand grinder, wire brush, or power tools.
- Performs minor machine maintenance, such as oiling or cleaning machines, dies, or workpieces, or adding coolant to machine reservoir.