DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4194 Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
Occupational Description:Perform precision smoothing, sharpening, polishing, or grinding of metal objects.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||480||$15.38/hr||N/A|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||210||$14.78/hr||N/A|
|Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders||80||$14.83/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||80||$19.13/hr||N/A|
|Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||50||$17.05/hr||N/A|
|Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Sets-up, operates, and adjusts grinding or polishing machines to grind metal workpieces, such as dies, parts, and tools.
- Files or finishes surface of workpiece, using prescribed hand tool.
- Selects and mounts grinding wheels on machines, according to specifications, using hand tools and applying knowledge of abrasive and grinding procedures.
- Straightens workpiece and removes dents in workpiece, using straightening press and hammers.
- Computes number, width, and angle of cutting tool, micrometer, scales, and gauges and adjusts tool to produce specified cuts.
- Studies blueprint or layout of metal workpiece to visualize grinding procedure and plan sequences of operations.
- Measures and examines workpiece to verify that dimensions meet specifications.
- Cleans and lubricates machine parts.
- Removes finished workpiece from machine and places in boxes or racks, depending on size of workpiece.
- Inspects dies to detect defects, assess wear, and verify specifications, using micrometers, steel gauge pins, and loupe.
- Fits parts together in preassembly to ensure dimensions are accurate.
- Forms specified section of workpiece and repairs cracks in workpiece, using welding or brazing equipment.
- Removes and replaces machine parts, using hand tools.
- Duplicates workpiece contours, using tracer attachment.
- Places workpiece in electroplating solution or applies pigment to surfaces of workpiece to highlight ridges and grooves.
- Turns valves to direct flow of coolant against cutting wheel and workpiece.
- Examines and feels surface of workpiece to verify grinding meets specifications.
- Observes and listens to machine operation to determine whether adjustments are necessary to ensure workpieces meet specifications.
- Tends machine that grinds, files, or polishes workpiece.
- Dresses grinding wheel, according to specifications.