DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-6021 Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
Occupational Description:Press or shape articles by hand or machine.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||90||$9.82/hr||N/A|
|Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers||20||$10.08/hr||N/A|
|Sewing Machine Operators||10||$9.02/hr||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
- Operates machine presses to finish parts that can be pressed flat and completes other parts by pressing with hand iron.
- Finishes pleated garments, determining size of pleat from evidence of old pleat or from work order, using machine press or hand iron.
- Inserts heated metal form into tie and touches up rough places with hand iron.
- Presses ties on small pressing machine.
- Finishes parts difficult to reach, such as flounces, by fitting parts over puff irons.
- Finishes velvet garments by steaming them on buck of hot-head press or steamtable, and brushing pile (nap) with handbrush.
- Finishes fancy garments with hand iron to produce high quality finishes which cannot be obtained on machine presses.
- Activates pressing machine to remove wrinkles from garments and flatwork items, or shape, form, or patch articles.
- Selects, installs, and adjusts machine components, including pressing forms, rollers, and guides, according to pressing instructions, using hoist and hand tools.
- Removes finished pieces from pressing machine and hangs or stacks for cooling, or forwards for additional processing.
- Moistens materials to soften and smoothes and straightens materials with hands, to prepare for machine pressing.
- Presses materials, such as garments, drapes, and slipcovers, using hand iron.
- Cleans and maintains pressing machines, using cleaning solutions and lubricants.
- Hangs, folds, packages, and tags finished articles for delivery to customer.
- Applies cleaning solvents, and brushes materials made of suede, leather, and felt, to remove spots, and raise and smooth nap.
- Shrinks, stretches, or blocks articles by hand, to conform to original measurements, using forms, blocks, and steam.
- Sews end of new material to leader or to end of material in pressing machine, using sewing machine.
- Examines and measures finished articles to verify conformance to standards, using measuring devices, including tape measure and micrometer.
- Positions materials, such as cloth garments, felt, or straw on table, die, or feeding mechanism of pressing machine.
- Lowers iron, ram, or pressing head of machine into position over material to be pressed.
- Activates and adjusts machine controls to regulate temperature and pressure of rollers, ironing shoe, or plates, according to specifications.
- Pushes and pulls iron over surface of article, according to type of fabric.
- Adjusts temperature of iron, according to fabric type, and uses covering cloths to prevent scorching or sheen on delicate fabrics.
- Fits odd-shaped pieces which cannot be pressed flat over puff iron.
- Places article in position on ironing board or worktable.
- Sprays water over fabric to soften fibers when not using steam iron.
- Pins, folds, and hangs article after pressing.
- Measures fabric to specifications, cuts uneven edges with shears, folds material, and presses with iron to form heading.
- Smoothes and shapes fabric prior to pressing.