DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-6041 Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
Occupational Description:Construct, decorate, or repair leather and leather-like products, such as luggage, shoes, and saddles.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Etchers and Engravers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Assembles product according to specifications, utilizing sewing machine, needle and thread, or leather lacing, glue, clamps, or rivets.
- Dyes, soaks, paints, stamps, or engraves leather or other materials to obtain desired effect or shape.
- Fabricates articles such as purses, wallets, belts, luggage frames, and shoes.
- Inserts and positions padding, foam cushioning, or lining and glues or stitches into place.
- Inspects article for defects and removes damaged or worn parts, using hand tools.
- Trims and buffs, bevels, or flares workpiece to specified size and shape.
- Draws pattern, using measurements, plaster cast, or customer specifications, and positions or outlines pattern on workpiece.
- Reads prescription or specifications and measures item, using calipers, tape measures, or rule.
- Drills or punches holes and inserts metal rings, handles, and hardware.
- Aligns and stitches or glues materials, such as fabric, fleece, leather, or wood to join parts.
- Repairs and reconditions products such as trunks, luggage, shoes, and saddles.
- Selects material and cuts parts along pattern or outline, with knife, shears, or scissors.
- Attaches accessories or ornamentation to decorate or protect product.
- Sews rips or patches holes by hand or machine to repair articles, such as purses, shoes, and luggage.