DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-6092 Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers
Occupational Description:Draw and construct sets of precision master fabric patterns or layouts. May also mark and cut fabrics and apparel.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Jewelers and Precious Stone and Metal Workers||240||$19.08/hr||5.5%|
|Etchers and Engravers||90||$16.44/hr||N/A|
|Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers||N/A||$16.02/hr||-20.9%|
Tasks for Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers
- Draws outline of pattern parts, using drafting instruments such as calipers, squares, and straight and curved rules.
- Positions and cuts out pattern, using scissors and knife.
- Traces outline of paper onto cardboard pattern, and cuts pattern into parts to make template.
- Traces outline of specified pattern onto material and cuts fabric, using scissors.
- Marks finished pattern with garment size, section, and style information.
- Positions and pins pattern sections onto model form and discusses style lines, details, and revisions with designer.
- Lays out large patterns on floor and cuts material, according to markings.
- Makes drawings of garments and patterns, and writes instructions for use in reproducing commercial patterns.
- Computes dimensions of pattern according to size, considering stretching of material, and measures and marks pattern.
- Positions master pattern in clamp of grading device, places paperboard under pattern, sets device to specified size, and marks reference points.
- Positions master pattern on paperboard and drafts reference points based on data from charts.
- Calculates dimensions and specifications from sales order and enters data on worksheet.
- Examines sketches or sample articles and design specifications to ascertain number, shape, and size of pattern parts.
- Draws lines between reference points, producing outline of graded pattern.
- Draws details on outlined parts to indicate guides in joining parts.
- Draws patterns for range of garment sizes, grading master pattern for each size, using charts or grading device.