DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Make, repair, or replace upholstery for household furniture or transportation vehicles.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||430||$15.06/hr||12.8%|
|Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles||70||$30.67/hr||11.3%|
|Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers||N/A||$16.02/hr||-20.9%|
Tasks for Upholsterers
- Measures and cuts new covering material, using pattern and measuring and cutting instruments.
- Adjusts or replaces webbing, padding, and springs and secures them in place.
- Sews rips or tears in material, or creates tufting, using needle and thread.
- Draws cutting lines on material following pattern, templates, sketches, or blueprints, using chalk, pencil, paint, or other method.
- Reads order and applies knowledge and experience with materials to determine type and amount of material required to cover workpiece.
- Refinishes wood surfaces on upholstered or reupholstered furniture.
- Maintains records of time required to perform each job.
- Designs upholstery cover patterns.
- Drills or punches holes in material.
- Stacks, aligns, and smoothes material on cutting table.
- Repairs frame of workpiece.
- Removes covering, webbing, padding, and defective springs from workpiece, using hand tools.
- Examines upholstery to locate defects.
- Attaches fasteners, grommets, buckles, ornamental trim, and other accessories to cover or frame, using hand tools.
- Attaches binding or applies solutions to edges of cut material to prevent raveling.
- Fits, installs, and secures material on workpiece, using hand tools, power tools, glue, cement, or staples.
- Operates sewing machine to seam cushions and join various sections of covering material.