DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-7041 Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend wood sawing machines. May operate CNC equipment. Includes lead sawyers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators||50||$20.83/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Selects knives to achieve specified diameter of cut, or installs bit and dado saw according to work ticket.
- Aligns and bolts knives in cutterhead and screws it on spindle, using wrenches.
- Adjusts angle of table by turning handwheel, and bolts or clamps holding jigs to table.
- Places stock in jig and pushes table containing stock into saw or lays stock on conveyor that carries it into machine.
- Pulls table back against stops and depresses pedal to advance cutterhead that shapes end of stock.
- Operates and tends saws and machines to cut stock and to adjust machine speed and tension, moving levers and handwheels.
- Guides workpiece against saw or saw over workpiece or operates automatic feeding device to guide cuts.
- Operates panelboard of saw and conveyor system to cut stock to specified dimensions and to move stock through process.
- Trims defects from stock or workpiece to straighten rough edges of lumber, using circular power saw.
- Turns knobs, handwheels, setscrews, and panel controls, or uses hand tools to position and adjust cutting stops and guides.
- Adjusts saw blades by turning handwheels, pressing pedals, levers, and panel buttons, or using wrenches and rulers.
- Observes approaching lumber on conveyor to determine cut that will produce highest grade.
- Determines sawing blade, type and grade of stock needed, and cutting procedures, according to work order or supervisor's instructions.
- Mounts and bolts sawing blade or attachments to machine shaft and turns handwheels to set blade tension.
- Positions and clamps stock on table, conveyor, or carriage, using hoists, guides, stops, dogs, wedges, and wrench.
- Moves machine table to specified angle and height by turning handwheels, cranks, or knobs.
- Measures workpiece to mark for cuts and to verify accuracy of cuts, using ruler, square, or caliper rule.
- Clears machine jams, using hand tools.
- Unclamps and removes finished workpiece from table.
- Sharpens blades or replaces defective or worn blades and bands, using hand tools.
- Inspects stock for imperfections and estimates grade or quality of stock or workpiece.
- Lubricates and cleans machines, using wrench, grease gun, and solvents.
- Unloads and rolls logs from truck to sawmill deck or to carriage or moves logs in pond, using pike pole.
- Counts, sorts, and stacks finished workpieces and disposes of waste material.