DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-7042 Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend woodworking machines, such as drill presses, lathes, shapers, routers, sanders, planers, and wood nailing machines. May operate CNC equipment.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||180||52||$13.29/hr||$0.72/hr||$9.57/hr||$10.66/hr||$12.56/hr||$14.39/hr||$18.72/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood||90||$13.43/hr||N/A|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||80||$15.43/hr||N/A|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||30||$18.06/hr||N/A|
|Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||10||$13.67/hr||N/A|
|Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic||10||$20.97/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Installs knives, sanding apparatus, cams, cutting heads, bits, chisels, and blades, using hand tools.
- Attaches and adjusts guides, stops, clamps, chucks, and feed mechanisms, using hand tools.
- Starts machine and feeds stock into machine through feed mechanisms or conveyors.
- Monitors operation of automatic machines and makes adjustments as needed to correct problems and ensure conformance to specifications.
- Examines blueprints, drawings, and work orders, to determine characteristics of finished item, materials to be used, and machine setup requirements.
- Adjusts machine table or cutting devices to produce specified cut or operation.
- Pushes or holds workpiece against, under, or through cutting, boring or shaping mechanism.
- Selects knives, sanding apparatus, cams, cutting heads, bits, chisels and blades.
- Mounts or clamps stock onto machine.
- Removes and replaces worn machine parts, knives, bits, belts, and sandpaper.
- Examines workpiece visually, by touch, or using tape rule, calipers, or gauges to ensure product meets desired standards.
- Unclamps and removes workpiece from machine, and stacks workpiece on pallet or in box.
- Sharpens knives, bits, and other cutting and shaping tools.
- Cleans product, machine, or work area, using rags and air hose.
- Starts machine, adjusts controls, and moves lever or depresses pedal to bore, shape, smooth, shave, chip, slice or cut woodstock.
- Starts machine and moves lever to engage hydraulic lift to press woodstock into desired form, allows for drying-time, and removes.
- Re-adjusts and re-aligns guides of sanding, cutting, or boring machines to correct defects in finished product, using hand tools.
- Installs and adjusts blades, cutterheads, boring-bits, or sanding-belts in machines, according to workpiece, machine function, and specifications, using hand tools.
- Selects knives, blades, cutterheads, boring-bits, or sanding-belts, according to workpiece, machine function, and specifications.
- Places or secures woodstock against guide or into holding-device prior to feeding into machine.
- Examines blueprints, drawings, or samples to determine size, type, and setting of machine tools, stops, jigs, and guides to use.
- Places water-soaked woodstock into form under hydraulic lift to shape for use in making such items as musical instruments.
- Examines finished workpiece for smoothness, shape, angle, depth-of-cut and conformity to specifications, visually and using hands, rule, or other gauges.
- Examines raw woodstock for defects and to ensure conformity to size and other specification standards.
- Examines rollers, sanding-belts, knives, cutting or boring devices, and conveyor mechanisms and sharpens or replaces worn parts, using hand tools.
- Cleans machines, work-station, or conveyor, using airhose, wax, solvents, brushes and rags.
- Marks or otherwise identifies completed and inspected workpiece.
- Hand-stacks on pallet or conveyor or controls hoist to remove part or product from work-station.