DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-8013 Power Plant Operators
Occupational Description:Control, operate, or maintain machinery to generate electric power. Includes auxiliary equipment operators. Excludes “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators" (51-8011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||130||$18.24/hr||N/A|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||60||$16.18/hr||N/A|
|Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators||50||$20.83/hr||N/A|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers||30||$20.26/hr||N/A|
|Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Gas Plant Operators||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Power Plant Operators
- Operates or controls machinery that generates electric power, using control boards or semiautomatic equipment.
- Examines and tests electrical power distribution machinery and equipment, using testing devices.
- Maintains and repairs electrical power distribution machinery and equipment, using hand tools.
- Compiles and records operational data on specified forms.
- Adjusts controls on equipment to generate specified electrical power.
- Monitors control and switchboard gauges to determine electrical power distribution meets specifications.
- Tends portable or stationary high pressure boilers that supply heat or power for engines , turbines, and steam-powered equipment.
- Replenishes electrolyte in batteries and oil in voltage transformers and resets tripped electric relays.
- Reads gauges to verify that units are operating at specified capacity, and listens for sounds warning of mechanical malfunction.
- Assists in making electrical repairs.
- Cleans and lubricates equipment and collects oil, water, and electrolyte samples for laboratory analysis to prevent equipment failure or deterioration,
- Tightens leaking gland and pipe joints and reports need for major equipment repairs.
- Opens and closes valves and switches in sequence upon signal from other worker to start or shut down auxiliary units.