DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-8092 Gas Plant Operators
Occupational Description:Distribute or process gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators||40||$24.63/hr||N/A|
|Power Plant Operators||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Gas Plant Operators
- Controls fractioning columns, compressors, purifying towers, heat exchangers, and related equipment, to extract nitrogen and oxygen from air.
- Observes pressure, temperature, level, and flow gauges to ensure standard operation.
- Reads logsheet to ascertain demand and disposition of product or to detect equipment malfunctions.
- Records gauge readings and test results.
- Calculates gas ratios, using testing apparatus, to detect deviations from specifications.
- Signals or directs workers tending auxiliary equipment.
- Cleans and repairs equipment, using hand tools.
- Tests oxygen for purity and moisture content at various stages of process, using burette and moisture meter.
- Controls operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
- Adjusts temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, or transfer of gas, according to test results and knowledge of process and equipment.
- Controls equipment to regulate flow and pressure of gas to feedlines of boilers, furnaces, and related steam-generating or heating equipment.
- Determines causes of abnormal pressure variances and makes corrective recommendations, such as installation of pipe to relieve overloading.
- Changes charts in recording meters.
- Observes, records, and reports flow and pressure gauge readings on gas mains and fuel feedlines.
- Determines required governor adjustments, according to customer-demand estimates.
- Adjusts governors to maintain specified gas pressure and volume.