DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9081 Dental Laboratory Technicians
Occupational Description:Construct and repair full or partial dentures or dental appliances. Excludes “Dental Assistants" (31-9091).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
Tasks for Dental Laboratory Technicians
- Tests appliance for conformance to specifications and accuracy of occlusion, using articulator and micrometer.
- Assembles, carves, grinds, and polishes metal and plastic appliances, using pliers, spatula, grinders, and polishes.
- Fills chipped or low spots in surface with acrylic resin.
- Removes excess mixture and investment and polishes surface of prosthesis or framework, using polishing machine.
- Fabricates dental appliances or apparatus, such as dentures, retainers, or metal bands.
- Reads prescription or specifications and examines models and impressions to determine design of dental products to be constructed.
- Rebuilds or replaces linings, wire sections, and missing teeth to repair dentures.
- Casts plastic, plaster, and metal framework and removes mold from frame.
- Melts metals or mixes plaster, porcelain, or acrylic paste, and pours material into molds or over framework to form dental apparatus or prosthesis.
- Applies investments or mixtures, such as porcelain paste or wax, over prosthesis framework or setup, using brushes and spatula.
- Shapes and solders wire and metal frames or bands for dental products, using soldering iron and hand tools.