DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9083 Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians
Occupational Description:Cut, grind, and polish eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other precision optical elements. Assemble and mount lenses into frames or process other optical elements. Includes precision lens polishers or grinders, centerer-edgers, and lens mounters. Excludes “Opticians, Dispensing" (29-2081).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||7,900||$18.49/hr||18.0%|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||1,740||$17.14/hr||10.5%|
|Tool and Die Makers||1,700||$24.03/hr||3.1%|
|Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||830||$18.11/hr||8.0%|
|Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers||430||$15.77/hr||-8.8%|
|Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||350||$20.69/hr||3.8%|
|Power Distributors and Dispatchers||300||$33.42/hr||5.4%|
|Jewelers and Precious Stone and Metal Workers||240||$19.08/hr||5.5%|
|Metal-Refining Furnace Operators and Tenders||130||$17.53/hr||28.1%|
|Etchers and Engravers||90||$16.44/hr||N/A|
|Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers||N/A||$26.62/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians
- Sets up machines to polish, bevel, edge, and grind lenses, flats, blanks, and other precision optical elements.
- Cleans and polishes finished lenses and eyeglasses, using cloth, solvent, and equipment.
- Mounts and secures lens blanks or optical lens in holding tool or chuck of cutting, polishing, grinding, or coating machine.
- Holds lens against rotating wheel to grind or polish lens manually or using machine.
- Positions and adjusts cutting tool to specified curvature, dimensions, and depth of cut.
- Selects lens blank, molds, tools, or polishing or grinding wheel, according to production specifications.
- Examines prescription, work order, or broken or used eyeglasses to determine specifications for lenses, contact lens, and other optical elements.
- Immerses eyeglass frames in solutions to harden, soften, or dye frames.
- Removes lenses from molds and separates lenses in containers for further processing or storage.
- Marks lenses and writes specifications to guide fabricators.
- Lays out lenses and traces lens outline on glass, using template or assembles molds to cast contact lenses.
- Inspects, weighs, and measures lens blanks or lens to verify compliance to specifications, using precision instruments.
- Inspects lens blank to detect flaws, verify smoothness of surface, and ensure thickness of coating on lens.
- Cuts or blocks lenses, optical glass, and blanks, using cutting machinery or precision hand tools.
- Controls equipment to coat lenses to alter reflective quality of lens.
- Mounts, secures, and aligns lenses in frames or optical assemblies, using precision hand tools.
- Assembles eyeglass frame, and attaches shields, nose pads, and temple pieces, using pliers, screwdriver, and drill.
- Inspects and measures mounted or unmounted lenses to verify alignment and conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Adjusts lenses and frames to correct alignment and repairs broken parts, using precision hand tools and soldering iron.
- Assembles structural, mechanical, and optical parts of instrument, using hand tools and cement.
- Mixes holding compounds, and mounts workpiece or optical element on holding fixture and machine.
- Measures and marks dimensions and reference points, and lays out stock for machining.
- Studies work orders, blueprints, and sketches to formulate plans and sequences for fabricating optical elements, instruments, and systems.
- Computes distance of sighting instruments, using trigonometric formulas.
- Paints parts, using brush and spray gun.
- Records production, inspection, and test data in logs.
- Sets up and operates machines to fabricate fixtures, optics, and tools.
- Cleans elements and parts, using tissue, cleaning solution, and air compressor.
- Tests and sights instruments to verify compliance to specifications, using precision testing instruments.
- Measures and tests optics, using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Grinds and polishes optics, using hand tools and polishing cloths.
- Coats optical elements according to specifications, using coating equipment.