DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9191 Cementing and Gluing Machine Operators and Tenders
Occupational Description:Operate or tend bonding machines that use adhesives to join items for further processing or to form a completed product. Processes include joining veneer sheets into plywood; gluing paper; or joining rubber and rubberized fabric parts, plastic, simulated leather, or other materials. Excludes “Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders" (51-6042).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||210||$14.78/hr||N/A|
|Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||180||$17.31/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||100||$16.07/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||80||$19.13/hr||N/A|
|Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||50||$14.28/hr||N/A|
|Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Cementing and Gluing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Adjusts machine to apply specified amount of glue, cement, or adhesive.
- Reads work orders and communicates with coworkers to determine machine and equipment settings and adjustments, and supply and product specifications.
- Monitors and fills machine with glue, cement, or adhesive as needed.
- Transports materials, supplies, and finished products between storage and work areas, using forklift.
- Maintains production records, such as number, dimensions, and thickness of materials processed.
- Cleans and maintains gluing and cementing machines, using cleaning solutions, lubricants, brushes, and scrapers.
- Removes completed materials or products and restocks materials to be joined.
- Examines and measures completed materials or products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring devices, such as tape measure, gauge, or calipers.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to specifications to prepare glue.
- Mounts or loads material, such as paper, plastic, wood, or rubber in feeding mechanism of cementing or gluing machine.
- Positions materials being joined to ensure accurate application of adhesive.
- Starts machine and turns valves or moves controls to feed, admit, or transfer materials and adhesive.
- Adjusts machine components according to specifications, such as width, length, and thickness of materials to be joined.
- Observes gauges, meters, and control panels to regulate temperature, pressure, or speed of feeder or conveyor.
- Monitors machine operation to detect malfunctions, remove jammed materials, and readjust machine components to conform to specifications.