DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-3032 Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-Trailer
Occupational Description:Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). May be required to unload truck. Requires commercial drivers' license.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||3,360||258||$19.62/hr||$0.66/hr||$13.08/hr||$15.61/hr||$18.44/hr||$22.44/hr||$27.77/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators||1,150||$16.78/hr||N/A|
|Bus Drivers, School||1,090||$13.78/hr||N/A|
|Truck Drivers, Light or Delivery Services||780||$13.85/hr||N/A|
|Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity||280||$14.52/hr||N/A|
|Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators||140||$17.79/hr||N/A|
|Earth Drillers, Except Oil and Gas||20||$20.46/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-Trailer
- Drives truck with capacity of more than 3 tons to transport and deliver cargo, materials, or damaged vehicle.
- Maintains radio or telephone contact with base or supervisor to receive instructions or be dispatched to new location.
- Maintains truck log according to state and federal regulations.
- Keeps record of materials and products transported.
- Position blocks and ties rope around items to secure cargo for transport.
- Cleans, inspects, and services vehicle.
- Operates equipment on vehicle to load, unload, or disperse cargo or materials.
- Obtains customer signature or collects payment for goods delivered and delivery charges.
- Assists in loading and unloading truck manually.
- Drives tractor-trailer combination, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations, to transport and deliver products, livestock, or materials, usually over long distance.
- Maneuvers truck into loading or unloading position, following signals from loading crew as needed.
- Drives truck to weigh station before and after loading, and along route to document weight and conform to state regulations.
- Maintains driver log according to I.C.C. regulations.
- Inspects truck before and after trips and submits report indicating truck condition.
- Reads bill of lading to determine assignment.
- Fastens chain or binders to secure load on trailer during transit.
- Loads or unloads, or assists in loading and unloading truck.
- Works as member of two-person team driving tractor with sleeper bunk behind cab.
- Services truck with oil, fuel, and radiator fluid to maintain tractor-trailer.
- Obtains customer's signature or collects payment for services.
- Inventories and inspects goods to be moved.
- Wraps goods using pads, packing paper, and containers, and secures load to trailer wall using straps.
- Gives directions to helper in packing and moving goods to trailer.