DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-7021 Crane and Tower Operators
Occupational Description:Operate mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions. Excludes “Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators" (53-7032).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators||8,270||$23.28/hr||27.3%|
|Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators||1,410||$19.12/hr||32.3%|
|Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators||1,340||$20.18/hr||24.7%|
|Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators||N/A||$24.88/hr||-7.0%|
Tasks for Crane and Tower Operators
- Operates cranes, cherry pickers, or other moving equipment to lift and move loads, such as machinery or bulk materials.
- Inspects bundle packaging for conformance to customer requirements and removes and batches packaging tickets.
- Weighs bundles, using floor scale, and records weight for company records.
- Directs helpers engaged in placing blocking and outrigging under crane when lifting loads.
- Inspects cables and grappling devices for wear, and installs or replaces cables.
- Directs truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and covers, uncovers, and secures loads for delivery.
- Reviews daily truck-delivery schedule to ascertain orders, sequence of deliveries, and special loading instructions.
- Cleans, lubricates, and maintains mechanisms, such as cables, pulleys, and grappling devices.
- Inspects and compares load weights with lifting capacity to ensure against overload.
- Loads and unloads bundles from trucks and moves containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Inspects and adjusts crane mechanisms and accessory equipment to prevent malfunctions and wear.