DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-7121 Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
Occupational Description:Load and unload chemicals and bulk solids, such as coal, sand, and grain into or from tank cars, trucks, or ships using material moving equipment. May perform a variety of other tasks relating to shipment of products. May gauge or sample shipping tanks and test them for leaks.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||7,370||$18.56/hr||18.0%|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||2,860||$15.77/hr||5.6%|
|Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||930||$13.85/hr||16.2%|
|Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||700||$18.36/hr||10.4%|
|Gas Plant Operators||250||$28.67/hr||-14.9%|
|Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers||N/A||$27.12/hr||N/A|
|Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators||N/A||$18.12/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
- Starts pumps and adjusts valves to regulate flow of product to vessel, utilizing knowledge of loading procedures.
- Monitors product movement to and from storage tanks and coordinates with other workers to ensure constant product flow.
- Unloads cars by connecting hose to outlet plugs and pumping compressed air into car forcing liquid into storage tank.
- Verifies tank car, barge, or truck load number to ensure car placement accuracy based on written or verbal instructions.
- Weighs and inspects vessels to prevent contamination and to ensure cleanliness and compliance to loading procedures.
- Tests vessels for leaks, damage, and defects, and repairs or replaces defective parts.
- Reads meter to verify content, temperature, and volume of liquid load.
- Copies and tacks load specifications onto tank, and seals outlet valves on tank car, barge, or truck.
- Records operating data, such as products and quantities pumped, gauge readings, and operating time, manually or using computer.
- Retrieves liquid sample and performs tests on contents or delivers sample to laboratory for testing.
- Operates blenders and heaters to mix, blend and heat products.