DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Construct, assemble, maintain, and repair stationary steam boilers and boiler house auxiliaries. Align structures or plate sections to assemble boiler frame tanks or vats, following blueprints. Work involves use of hand and power tools, plumb bobs, levels, wedges, dogs, or turnbuckles. Assist in testing assembled vessels. Direct cleaning of boilers and boiler furnaces. Inspect and repair boiler fittings, such as safety valves, regulators, automatic-control mechanisms, water columns, and auxiliary machines.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||7,900||$18.49/hr||18.0%|
|Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters||7,210||$30.01/hr||41.0%|
|Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians||1,300||$29.28/hr||5.0%|
|Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians||470||$17.14/hr||14.6%|
|Elevator Installers and Repairers||400||$39.21/hr||23.4%|
|Rail Car Repairers||370||$26.30/hr||15.6%|
|Engine and Other Machine Assemblers||170||$13.95/hr||12.7%|
Tasks for Boilermakers
- Positions, aligns, and secures structural parts and related assemblies of pressure vessels, using plumb bobs, levels, wedges and turnbuckles.
- Installs manholes, handholes, valves, gauges, and feedwater connections in drums of water tube boilers, using hand tools.
- Repairs or replaces defective pressure vessel parts, using torch, jacks, caulking hammers, power saw, threading die, and welding equipment.
- Shapes seams, joints, and irregular edges of pressure vessel sections and structural parts to attain specified fit, using cutting torch, file, and power grinder.
- Studies blueprints to determine location, relationship and dimensions of parts, to assemble pressure vessels, such as boilers, tanks and vats.
- Installs refractory brick and other heat resistant materials in firebox of pressure vessel.
- Locates and marks reference points for columns or plates on foundation, using master straightedge, square, transit and measuring instruments.
- Attaches rigging and signals crane operator to lift pressure vessel parts to specified position.
- Cleans pressure vessel equipment, using scrapers, wire brush and cleaning solvent.
- Fabricates parts, such as stacks, uptakes, and chutes, to adapt pressure vessel to premises.
- Repairs insulation of pressure vessel with cement.
- Maintains and repairs stationary steam boilers and boiler house auxiliaries, using hand tools and power tools.
- Inspects assembled vessels for faulty accessories and pressure tests for leakage.
- Bells, beads with power hammer, or welds pressure vessel tube ends to ensure leakproof joints.
- Straightens or reshapes bent pressure vessel plates and structure parts, using hammer, jacks, and torch.
- Bolts or arc-welds pressure vessel structures and parts together, using wrenches and welding equipment.