DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
13-1021 Purchasing Agents and Buyers, Farm Products
Occupational Description:Purchase farm products either for further processing or resale. Includes tree farm contractors, grain brokers and market operators, grain buyers, and tobacco buyers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Fargo-Moorhead ND-MN MSA||60||13||$31.66/hr||$1.80/hr||$17.85/hr||$24.47/hr||$30.04/hr||$35.23/hr||$49.42/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Public Relations Specialists||200||$22.02/hr||N/A|
|Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents||150||$24.10/hr||N/A|
|Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products||130||$23.30/hr||N/A|
|Dietitians and Nutritionists||60||$25.29/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Purchasing Agents and Buyers, Farm Products
- Negotiates contracts with farmers for production or purchase of agricultural products such as milk, grains, and Christmas trees.
- Inspects and tests crops or other farm products to determine quality and to detect evidence of disease or insect damage.
- Maintains records of business transactions.
- Estimates production possibilities by surveying property and studying factors such as history of crop rotation, soil fertility, and irrigation facilities.
- Writes articles for publication.
- Coordinates and directs activities or workers engaged in cutting, transporting, storing, or milling products and in maintaining records.
- Advises farm groups and growers on land preparation and livestock care to maximize quantity and quality of production.
- Plans and arranges for transportation for crops, milk, or other products to dairy or processing facility.
- Arranges sales, loans, or financing for supplies, such as equipment, seed, feed, fertilizer, and chemicals.
- Reviews orders and determines product types and quantities required to meet demand.