DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Administer libraries and perform related library services. Work in a variety of settings, including public libraries, educational institutions, museums, corporations, government agencies, law firms, non-profit organizations, and healthcare providers. Tasks may include selecting, acquiring, cataloguing, classifying, circulating, and maintaining library materials; and furnishing reference, bibliographical, and readers' advisory services. May perform in-depth, strategic research, and synthesize, analyze, edit, and filter information. May set up or work with databases and information systems to catalogue and access information.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|La Crosse WI-MN MSA||80||22||$25.60/hr||$0.95/hr||$18.79/hr||$21.72/hr||$25.43/hr||$28.92/hr||$34.45/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education||600||$50,632/yr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||590||$21.10/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||380||$11.42/hr||N/A|
|Food Service Managers||230||$17.53/hr||N/A|
|Computer and Information Systems Managers||100||$46.66/hr||N/A|
|Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School||90||$90,966/yr||N/A|
Tasks for Librarians
- Confers with teachers, parents, and community organizations to develop, plan and conduct programs in reading, viewing, and communication skills.
- Compiles lists of overdue materials and notifies borrowers.
- Keys information into computer to store or search for selected material or data bases.
- Directs and trains library staff in duties, including receiving, shelving, researching, cataloging, and equipment use.
- Reviews, compiles, and publishes listing of library materials, including bibliographies and book reviews, to notify users.
- Researches, retrieves, and disseminates information from books, periodicals, reference materials or commercial data bases in response to requests.
- Organizes collections of books, publications, documents, audiovisual aids, and other reference materials for convenient access.
- Assists patrons in selecting books and informational material and in research problems.
- Reviews and evaluates resource material to select and order books, periodicals, audiovisual aids, and other materials for acquisition.
- Codes, classifies, and catalogs books, publications, films, audiovisual aids, and other library materials.
- Manages library resources stored in files, on film, or in computer data bases for research information.
- Explains use of library facilities, resources, equipment, and services and provides information governing library use and policies.
- Assembles and arranges display materials.
- Manages library program for children and other special groups.