DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Plan, coordinate, or edit content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Mankato-North Mankato, MN MetroSA||40||10||$20.97/hr||$0.52/hr||$16.07/hr||$17.53/hr||$20.00/hr||$22.54/hr||$27.11/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Writers and Authors||N/A||$22.90/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Editors
- Plans and prepares page layouts to position and space articles and photographs or illustrations.
- Reads and evaluates manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confers with authors regarding changes or publication.
- Writes and rewrites headlines, captions, columns, articles, and stories to conform to publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Confers with management and editorial staff members regarding placement of developing news stories.
- Reviews and approves proofs submitted by composing room.
- Arranges topical or alphabetical list of index items, according to page or chapter, indicating location of item in text.
- Compiles index cross references and related items, such as glossaries, bibliographies, and footnotes.
- Selects local, state, national, and international news items received by wire from press associations.
- Verifies facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Selects and crops photographs and illustrative materials to conform to space and subject matter requirements.
- Reads copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax, and indicates corrections, using standard proofreading and typesetting symbols.
- Determines placement of stories based on relative significance, available space, and knowledge of layout principles.
- Reads material to determine items to be included in index of book or other publication.