DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
13-1041 Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation
Occupational Description:Examine, evaluate, and investigate eligibility for or conformity with laws and regulations governing contract compliance of licenses and permits, and perform other compliance and enforcement inspection and analysis activities not classified elsewhere. Excludes "Financial Examiners" (13-2061), “Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents" (13-2081), “Occupational Health and Safety Specialists” (29-9011), “Occupational Health and Safety Technicians” (29-9012), Transportation Security Screeners (33-9093), “Agricultural Inspectors” (45-2011), “Construction and Building Inspectors” (47-4011), and “Transportation Inspectors” (53-6051).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||20||1||$31.83/hr||$0.92/hr||$23.05/hr||$27.89/hr||$34.53/hr||$35.64/hr||$35.65/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists||30||$26.28/hr||N/A|
|Appraisers and Assessors of Real Estate||10||$22.43/hr||N/A|
|Agricultural and Food Science Technicians||10||$17.29/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||N/A||$21.36/hr||N/A|
|Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists||N/A||$22.31/hr||N/A|
|Customer Service Representatives||N/A||$14.74/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation
- Inspects solid waste disposal and treatment facilities, wastewater treatment facilities, or other water courses or sites for conformance with regulations.
- Conducts field tests and collects samples for laboratory analysis.
- Inspects establishments to ensure that handling, storage, and disposal of fertilizers, pesticides, and other hazardous chemicals conform with regulations.
- Investigates complaints and suspected violations concerning illegal dumping, pollution, pesticides, product quality, or labeling laws.
- Interviews individuals to determine nature of suspected violations and to obtain evidence of violation.
- Conducts research on hazardous waste management projects to determine magnitude of disposal problem, treatment, and disposal alternatives and costs.
- Examines permits, licenses, applications, and records to ensure compliance with licensing requirements.
- Assists in development of spill prevention programs and hazardous waste rules and regulations, and recommends corrective action in event of hazardous spill.
- Prepares, organizes, and maintains records to document activities, recommend action, provide reference materials, and prepare technical and evidentiary reports.
- Evaluates label information for accuracy and conformance to regulatory requirements.
- Studies laws and statutes to determine nature of code violation and type of action to be taken.
- Advises individuals and groups concerning pollution control regulations, inspection and investigation findings, and encourages voluntary action to correct problems or issues citations for violations.
- Reviews and evaluates applications for registration of products containing dangerous materials or pollution control discharge permits.
- Evaluates applications, records, and documents to determine relevant eligibility information or liability incurred.
- Administers oral, written, road, or flight test to determine applicant's eligibility for licensing.
- Determines eligibility or liability and approves or disallows application or license.
- Provides information, and answers questions of individuals or groups concerning licensing, permit, or passport regulations.
- Warns violators of infractions or penalties.
- Prepares correspondence to inform concerned parties of decisions made and appeal rights.
- Prepares reports of activities, evaluations, recommendations, and decisions.
- Confers with officials, technical, or professional specialists and interviews individuals to obtain information or clarify facts.
- Issues licenses to individuals meeting standards.
- Visits establishments to determine that valid licenses and permits are displayed and that licensing standards are being upheld.
- Scores tests and rates ability of applicant through observation of equipment operation and control.
- Interprets civil rights laws and equal opportunity governmental regulations for individuals and employers.
- Investigates employment practices and alleged violations of law to document and correct discriminatory factors.
- Consults with community representatives to develop technical assistance agreements in accordance with governmental regulations.
- Conducts surveys and evaluates findings to determine existence of systematic discrimination.
- Prepares report of findings and recommendations for corrective action.
- Studies equal opportunity complaints to clarify issues.
- Reviews contracts to determine company actions required to meet governmental equal opportunity provisions.
- Acts as representative between minority placement agencies and employers.
- Confers with management or other personnel to resolve or settle equal opportunity issues and disputes.
- Develops guidelines for nondiscriminatory employment practices for use by employers.
- Investigates regulated activities to detect violation of law relating to such activities as revenue collection, employment practices, or fraudulent benefit claims.
- Inspects government-owned equipment and materials in hands of private contractors to prevent waste, damage, theft, and other irregularities.
- Examines records, reports, and documents to establish facts and detect discrepancies.
- Locates and interviews plaintiffs, witnesses, or representatives of business or government to gather facts relevant to inspection or alleged violation.
- Inspects manufactured or processed products to ensure compliance with contract specifications and legal requirements.
- Investigates character of applicant for special license or permit and misuses of license or permit.
- Prepares correspondence, reports of inspections or investigations, and recommendations for administrative or legal authorities.
- Submits samples of product to government laboratory for testing as indicated by departmental procedures.
- Testifies in court or at administrative proceedings concerning findings of investigation.
- Inspects drawings, designs, and specifications for piping, boilers and other vessels.
- Inspects gas mains to determine that rate of flow, pressure, location, construction, or installation conform to standards.
- Calculates allowable limits of pressure, strength, and stresses.
- Performs standard tests to verify condition of equipment and calibration of meters and gauges, using test equipment and hand tools.
- Evaluates factors, such as materials used, safety devices, regulators, construction quality, riveting, welding, pitting, corrosion, cracking, and safety valve operation.
- Recommends or orders actions to correct violations of legal requirements or to eliminate unsafe conditions.
- Witnesses acceptance and installation tests.
- Examines permits and inspection records to determine that inspection schedule and remedial actions conform to procedures and regulations.
- Investigates accidents to determine causes and to develop methods of preventing recurrences.
- Confers with engineers, manufacturers, contractors, owners, and operators concerning problems in construction, operation, and repair.
- Keeps records and prepares reports of inspections and investigations for administrative or legal authorities.
- Directs activities of physicians and technologists conducting autopsies and pathological and toxicological analyses to determine cause of death.
- Directs investigations into circumstances of deaths to fix responsibility for accidental, violent, or unexplained death.
- Confers with officials of public health and law enforcement agencies to coordinate interdepartmental activities.
- Directs activities of workers involved in preparing documents for permanent records.
- Coordinates activities for disposition of unclaimed corpse and personal effects of deceased.
- Testifies at inquests, hearings, and court trials.
- Provides information concerning death circumstance to relatives of deceased.