DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-3022 Civil Engineering Technicians
Occupational Description:Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||30||4||$22.27/hr||$0.72/hr||$18.45/hr||$19.86/hr||$21.58/hr||$23.34/hr||$27.93/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technicians||20||$26.33/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Civil Engineering Technicians
- Inspects project site and evaluates contractor work to detect design malfunctions and ensure conformance to design specifications and applicable codes.
- Drafts detailed dimensional drawings and designs layouts for projects and to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Reads and reviews project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Develops plans and estimates costs for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures.
- Responds to public suggestions and complaints.
- Evaluates facility to determine suitability for occupancy and square footage availability.
- Prepares reports and documents project activities and data.
- Confers with supervisor to determine project details, such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, and evaluation of field conditions.
- Conducts materials test and analysis, using tools and equipment, and applying engineering knowledge.
- Reports maintenance problems occurring at project site to supervisor and negotiates changes to resolve system conflicts.
- Calculates dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities, using calculator or computer.
- Plans and conducts field surveys to locate new sites and analyze details of project sites.
- Analyzes proposed site factors and designs maps, graphs, tracings, and diagrams to illustrate findings.