DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
19-4011 Agricultural and Food Science Technicians
Occupational Description:Work with agricultural and food scientists in food, fiber, and animal research, production, and processing; and assist with animal breeding and nutrition. Conduct tests and experiments to improve yield and quality of crops or to increase the resistance of plants and animals to disease or insects. Includes technicians who assist food scientists or technologists in the research and development of production technology, quality control, packaging, processing, and use of foods.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||10||1||$18.31/hr||$0.71/hr||$12.84/hr||$14.23/hr||$17.29/hr||$22.27/hr||$26.11/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Nonfarm Animal Caretakers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Agricultural and Food Science Technicians
- Examines chemical and biological samples to identify cell structure, bacteria, or extraneous material, using microscope.
- Analyzes test results to classify product, or compares results with standard tables.
- Sets up laboratory and field equipment to assist research workers.
- Cleans and maintains laboratory and field equipment and work areas.
- Plants seeds in specified area, and counts plants that grow, to determine germination rate of seeds.
- Pricks animals, and collects blood samples for testing, using hand-held devices.
- Records production and test data for evaluation by personnel.
- Measures or weighs ingredients used in testing or as animal feed.
- Adjusts testing equipment and prepares culture media, following standard procedures.
- Waters and feeds rations to livestock and laboratory animals.
- Examines animals and specimens to determine presence of disease or other problems.
- Conducts standardized tests on food, beverages, additives, and preservatives to ensure compliance to standards for factors such as color, texture, nutrients, and coloring.
- Tastes or smells food or beverages to ensure flavor meets specifications or to select samples with specific characteristics.
- Computes moisture or salt content, percentage of ingredients, formulas, or other product factors, using mathematical and chemical procedures.
- Mixes, blends, or cultivates ingredients to make reagents or to manufacture food or beverage products.
- Prepares slides and incubates slides with cell cultures.
- Orders supplies to maintain inventory in laboratory or in storage facility of food or beverage processing plant.
- Measures, tests, and weighs bottles, cans, and other containers to ensure hardness, strength, and dimensions meet specifications.
- Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment.
- Records and compiles test results, and prepares graphs, charts, and reports.