DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-6012 Legal Secretaries
Occupational Description:Perform secretarial duties using legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, motions, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||20||9||$17.10/hr||$0.79/hr||$14.50/hr||$15.57/hr||$16.97/hr||$18.37/hr||$21.00/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||620||$13.46/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||250||$16.36/hr||N/A|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||30||$21.75/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Legal Secretaries
- Prepares and processes legal documents and papers, such as summonses, subpoenas, complaints, appeals, motions, and pretrial agreements.
- Completes various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
- Attends legal meetings, such as client interviews, hearings, or depositions, and takes notes.
- Mails, faxes, or arranges for delivery of legal correspondence to clients, witnesses, and court officials.
- Makes photocopies of correspondence, document, and other printed matter.
- Schedules and makes appointments.
- Receives and places telephone calls.
- Drafts and types office memos.
- Organizes and maintains law libraries and document and case files.
- Reviews legal publications and performs data base searches to identify laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases.
- Submits articles and information from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
- Assists attorneys in collecting information such as employment, medical, and other records.