DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-9022 Word Processors and Typists
Occupational Description:Use word processor, computer or typewriter to type letters, reports, forms, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. May perform other clerical duties as assigned. Excludes “Data Entry Keyers" (43-9021), "Secretaries and Administrative Assistants" (43-6011 through 43-6014), "Court Reporters" (23-2091), and "Medical Transcriptionists" (31-9094).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||20||2||$14.48/hr||$1.57/hr||$8.47/hr||$9.76/hr||$15.61/hr||$17.64/hr||$18.86/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||670||$13.17/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||250||$17.09/hr||N/A|
|Library Assistants, Clerical||40||$12.71/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Word Processors and Typists
- Transmits work electronically to other locations.
- Operates duplicating machine.
- Answers telephone.
- Sorts and distributes mail.
- Collates pages of reports and other documents prepared.
- Files and stores completed documents.
- Prints and makes copy of work.
- Adjusts settings for format, page layout, line spacing, and other style requirements.
- Types from recorded dictation.
- Addresses envelopes or prepares envelope labels, using typewriter or computer.
- Gathers and arranges material to be typed, following instructions.
- Types from rough draft, corrected copy, or previous version displayed on screen, using computer or typewriter.
- Checks completed work for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and format.
- Transcribes stenotyped notes of court proceedings.
- Stores completed documents on computer hard drive or data storage medium, such as disk.
- Uses data entry device, such as optical scanner, to input data into computer for revision or editing.
- Keeps records of work performed.
- Computes and verifies totals on report forms, requisitions, or bills, using adding machine or calculator.