DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9198 Helpers--Production Workers
Occupational Description:Help production workers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment. Apprentice workers are classified in the appropriate production occupations (51-0000).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 1 - Northwest||70||13||$12.89/hr||$0.76/hr||$8.34/hr||$10.08/hr||$13.05/hr||$15.96/hr||$17.73/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||580||$17.05/hr||N/A|
|Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||60||$15.88/hr||N/A|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||60||$16.18/hr||N/A|
|Maintenance Workers, Machinery||20||$16.81/hr||N/A|
|Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Helpers--Production Workers
- Carries or handtrucks supplies to work stations.
- Loads and unloads items from machines, conveyors, and conveyance.
- Lifts raw materials, final products, and items packed for shipment, manually, or using hoist.
- Attaches slings, ropes, cables, or identification tags to objects, such as pipes, hoses, and bundles.
- Ties product in bundles for further processing or shipment, following prescribed procedure.
- Weighs raw materials for distribution.
- Records information, such as number of product tested, meter readings, and date and time product placed in oven.
- Examines product to verify conformance to company standards.
- Mixes ingredients, according to formula.
- Feeds item into processing machine.
- Inserts parts into partial assembly, during various stages of assembly to complete product.
- Counts finished product to determine completion of production order.
- Washes machines, equipment, vehicles and products, such as prints, rugs, and table linens.
- Folds parts of product and final product during processing.
- Separates product according to weight, grade, size, and composition of material used to produced product.
- Cuts or breaks flashing from materials or products.
- Places product in equipment or on worksurface for further processing, inspecting, or wrapping.
- Positions spout or chute of storage bin to fill containers, during processing.
- Threads ends of items, such as thread, cloth, and lace through needles, rollers, and around takeup tube.
- Breaks up defective products for reprocessing.
- Cleans and lubricates equipment.
- Dumps materials into machine hopper prior to mixing.
- Loads and unloads processing equipment or conveyance used to receive raw materials or to ship finished products.
- Marks or tags identification on parts.
- Places or positions equipment or partially assembled product for further processing, manually, or using hoist.
- Removes product, machine attachments, and waste material from machine.
- Reads gauges and charts and records data.
- Signals coworkers to facilitate moving product, during processing.
- Measures amount of ingredients, length of extruded article, or work to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Replaces damaged or worm equipment parts.
- Tends equipment to facilitate process.
- Mixes ingredients, according to procedure.
- Turns valves to regulate flow of liquids or air, to reverse machine, to start pump, and to regulate equipment.
- Starts machines or equipment to begin process.
- Observes operation and notifies equipment operator of malfunctions.