DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
11-1011 Chief Executives
Occupational Description:Determine and formulate policies and provide overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 2 - Headwaters||90||6||$82.04/hr||$11.12/hr||$39.85/hr||$52.15/hr||$77.84/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||220||$20.97/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Production and Operating Workers||130||$21.66/hr||N/A|
|Food Service Managers||50||$22.23/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators||40||$30.47/hr||N/A|
|Postmasters and Mail Superintendents||30||$27.86/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand||30||$16.63/hr||N/A|
|Industrial Production Managers||20||$36.82/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Chief Executives
- Directs organization charged with administering and monitoring regulated activities to interpret and clarify laws and ensure compliance with laws.
- Administers, interprets, and explains policies, rules, regulations, and laws to organizations and individuals under authority of commission or applicable legislation.
- Directs and coordinates activities of workers in public organization to ensure continuing operations, maximize returns on investments, and increase productivity.
- Develops, plans, organizes, and administers policies and procedures for organization to ensure administrative and operational objectives are met.
- Consults with staff and others in government, business, and private organizations to discuss issues, coordinate activities, and resolve problems.
- Evaluates findings of investigations, surveys, and studies to formulate policies and techniques and recommend improvements for personnel actions, programs, or business services.
- Directs, coordinates, and conducts activities between United States Government and foreign entities to provide information to promote international interest and harmony.
- Prepares, reviews, and submits reports concerning activities, expenses, budget, government statutes and rulings, and other items affecting business or program services.
- Conducts or directs investigations or hearings to resolve complaints and violations of laws.
- Develops, directs, and coordinates testing, hiring, training, and evaluation of staff personnel.
- Testifies in court, before control or review board, or at legislature.
- Participates in activities to promote business and expand services, and provides technical assistance in conducting of conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Delivers speeches, writes articles, and presents information for organization at meetings or conventions to promote services, exchange ideas, and accomplish objectives.
- Plans, promotes, organizes, and coordinates public community service program and maintains cooperative working relationships among public and agency participants.
- Establishes and maintains comprehensive and current record keeping system of activities and operational procedures in business office.
- Reviews and analyzes legislation, laws, and public policy and recommends changes to promote and support interests of general population, as well as special groups.
- Implements corrective action plan to solve problems.
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with federal and state agencies and other organizations and prepares budget for funding and implementation of programs.
- Directs and conducts studies and research, and prepares reports and other publications relating to operational trends and program objectives and accomplishments.
- Prepares budget and directs and monitors expenditures of department funds.
- Directs, plans, and implements policies and objectives of organization or business in accordance with charter and board of directors.
- Analyzes operations to evaluate performance of company and staff and to determine areas of cost reduction and program improvement.
- Directs and coordinates organization's financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency.
- Directs and coordinates activities of business or department concerned with production, pricing, sales, and/or distribution of products.
- Directs non-merchandising departments of business, such as advertising, purchasing, credit, and accounting.
- Prepares reports and budgets.
- Establishes internal control procedures.
- Directs inservice training of staff.
- Administers program for selection of sites, construction of buildings, and provision of equipment and supplies.
- Screens, selects, hires, transfers, and discharges employees.
- Promotes objectives of institution or business before associations, public, government agencies, or community groups.
- Negotiates or approves contracts with suppliers and distributors, and with maintenance, janitorial, and security providers.
- Presides over or serves on board of directors, management committees, or other governing boards.
- Directs and coordinates activities of business involved with buying and selling investment products and financial services.
- Assigns or delegates responsibilities to subordinates.
- Reviews financial statements and sales and activity reports to ensure that organization's objectives are achieved.
- Confers with board members, organization officials, and staff members to establish policies and formulate plans.
- Directs activities of organization to plan procedures, establish responsibilities, and coordinate functions among departments and sites.