DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-2051 Civil Engineers
Occupational Description:Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, and water and sewage systems. Includes architectural, structural, traffic, ocean, and geo-technical engineers. Excludes “Hydrologists" (19-2043).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 2 - Headwaters||30||3||$34.07/hr||$1.00/hr||$27.57/hr||$29.74/hr||$34.78/hr||$41.35/hr||$41.77/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Civil Engineering Technicians||50||$26.77/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronics Drafters||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Civil Engineers
- Analyzes survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects.
- Prepares or presents public reports, such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, and property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Provides technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to industrial and managerial personnel.
- Tests soils and materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Conducts studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and assess the potential impact of projects.
- Inspects project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Plans and designs transportation or hydraulic systems and structures, following construction and government standards, using design software and drawing tools.
- Estimates quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility.
- Directs construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site.
- Directs or participates in surveying to lay out installations and establish reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction.
- Computes load and grade requirements, water flow rates, and material stress factors to determine design specifications.