DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-2071 Electrical Engineers
Occupational Description:Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. Excludes “Computer Hardware Engineers" (17-2061).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Electronics Engineers, Except Computer||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Electrical Engineers
- Designs electrical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purposes.
- Prepares and studies technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems, and topographical maps to ensure installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Directs operations and coordinates manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
- Conducts field surveys and studies maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify and correct power system problems.
- Confers with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects and products.
- Evaluates and analyzes data regarding electric power systems and stations, and recommends changes to improve operating efficiency.
- Inspects completed installations and observes operations for conformance to design and equipment specifications, and operational and safety standards.
- Investigates customer or public complaints, determines nature and extent of problem, and recommends remedial measures.
- Operates computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Compiles data and writes reports regarding existing and potential engineering studies and projects.
- Collects data relating to commercial and residential development, population, and power system interconnection to determine operating efficiency of electrical systems.
- Estimates labor, material, and construction costs, and prepares specifications for purchase of materials and equipment.
- Performs detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications.
- Plans layout of electric power generating plants and distribution lines and stations.
- Develops applications of controls, instruments, and systems for new commercial, domestic, and industrial uses.
- Plans and implements research methodology and procedures to apply principles of electrical theory to engineering projects.