DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-2061 Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
Occupational Description:Care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, group homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 2 - Headwaters||1,030||26||$17.25/hr||$0.36/hr||$13.14/hr||$15.00/hr||$17.04/hr||$19.39/hr||$22.08/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
Tasks for Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Administers specified medication, orally or by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, and notes time and amount on patients' charts.
- Dresses wounds, gives enemas, douches, alcohol rubs, and massages.
- Observes patients and reports adverse reactions to medication or treatment to medical personnel in charge.
- Applies compresses, ice bags, and hot water bottles.
- Washes and dresses bodies of deceased persons.
- Cleans rooms, makes beds, and answers patients' calls.
- Assists in delivery, care, and feeding of infants.
- Prepares or examines food trays for prescribed diet and feeds patients.
- Records food and fluid intake and output.
- Sterilizes equipment and supplies, using germicides, sterilizer, or autoclave.
- Collects samples, such as urine, blood, and sputum, from patients for testing and performs routine laboratory tests on samples.
- Assembles and uses such equipment as catheters, tracheotomy tubes, and oxygen suppliers.
- Inventories and requisitions supplies.
- Bathes, dresses, and assists patients in walking and turning.
- Takes and records patients' vital signs.
- Provides medical treatment and personal care to patients in private home settings.