DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-3011 Bill and Account Collectors
Occupational Description:Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; and keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 2 - Headwaters||50||6||$20.37/hr||$1.61/hr||$13.73/hr||$15.75/hr||$18.17/hr||$25.11/hr||$30.41/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs||60||$19.10/hr||N/A|
|Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products||50||$21.47/hr||N/A|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||30||$34.30/hr||N/A|
|Customer Service Representatives||N/A||$13.18/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Bill and Account Collectors
- Mails form letters to customers to encourage payment of delinquent accounts.
- Notifies credit department, orders merchandise repossession or service disconnection, or turns over account to attorney if customer fails to respond.
- Persuades customer to pay amount due on credit account, damage claim, or nonpayable check, or negotiates extension of credit.
- Confers with customer by telephone or in person to determine reason for overdue payment and review terms of sales, service, or credit contract.
- Drives vehicle to visit customer, return merchandise to creditor, or deliver bills.
- Sorts and files correspondence, and performs miscellaneous clerical duties.
- Traces delinquent customer to new address by inquiring at post office or questioning neighbors.
- Records information about financial status of customer and status of collection efforts.
- Receives payments and posts amount paid to customer account, using computer or paper records.