DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2141 Painters, Construction and Maintenance
Occupational Description:Paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency. Excludes “Paperhangers" (47-2142).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 2 - Headwaters||30||8||$17.34/hr||$0.76/hr||$15.01/hr||$15.71/hr||$16.87/hr||$18.04/hr||$21.06/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cabinetmakers and Bench Carpenters||20||$18.80/hr||N/A|
|Plasterers and Stucco Masons||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Tile and Marble Setters||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Paints surfaces, using brushes, spray gun, or rollers.
- Cuts stencils, and brushes and sprays lettering and decorations on surfaces.
- Smoothes surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machine.
- Sprays or brushes hot plastics or pitch onto surfaces.
- Removes fixtures, such as pictures and electric switchcovers, from walls prior to painting.
- Covers surfaces with dropcloths or masking tape and paper to protect surface during painting.
- Burns off old paint, using blowtorch.
- Reads work order or receives instructions from supervisor or homeowner.
- Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders to work above ground level.
- Fills cracks, holes, and joints with caulk putty, plaster, or other filler, using caulking gun or putty knife.
- Mixes and matches colors of paint, stain, or varnish.
- Washes and treats surfaces with oil, turpentine, mildew remover, or other preparations.
- Sands surfaces between coats and polishes final coat to specified finish.
- Bakes finish on painted and enameled articles in baking oven.
- Applies paint to simulate wood grain, marble, brick, or stonework.