DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-2111 Health and Safety Engineers, Except Mining Safety Engineers and Inspectors
Occupational Description:Promote worksite or product safety by applying knowledge of industrial processes, mechanics, chemistry, psychology, and industrial health and safety laws. Includes industrial product safety engineers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||20||4||$44.33/hr||$2.74/hr||$33.34/hr||$37.29/hr||$42.67/hr||$51.40/hr||$59.50/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||1,050||$20.60/hr||N/A|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||180||$33.43/hr||N/A|
|Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers||40||$38.86/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronics Drafters||30||$27.46/hr||N/A|
|Fire Inspectors and Investigators||20||$22.98/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Health and Safety Engineers, Except Mining Safety Engineers and Inspectors
- Devises and implements safety or industrial health program to prevent, correct, or control unsafe environmental conditions.
- Conducts or coordinates training of workers concerning safety laws and regulations, use of safety equipment, devices, and clothing, and first aid.
- Provides technical guidance to organizations regarding how to handle health-related problems, such as water and air pollution.
- Installs or directs installation of safety devices on machinery.
- Conducts plant or area surveys to determine safety levels for exposure to materials and conditions.
- Designs and builds safety devices for machinery or safety clothing.
- Maintains liaison with outside organizations, such as fire departments, mutual aid societies, and rescue teams.
- Prepares reports of findings from investigation of accidents, inspection of facilities, or testing of environment.
- Checks floors of plant to ensure they are strong enough to support heavy machinery.
- Investigates causes of industrial accidents or injuries to develop solutions to minimize or prevent recurrence.
- Conducts or directs testing of air quality, noise, temperature, or radiation to verify compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Inspects facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Examines plans and specifications for new machinery or equipment to determine if all safety requirements have been included.
- Compiles, analyzes, and interprets statistical data related to exposure factors concerning occupational illnesses and accidents.
- Determines fire causes and methods of fire prevention.
- Designs fire detection equipment, alarm systems, fire extinguishing devices and systems, or structural components protection.
- Recommends and advises on use of fire detection equipment, extinguishing devices, or methods to alleviate conditions conducive to fire.
- Advises and plans for prevention of destruction by fire, wind, water, or other causes of damage.
- Evaluates fire departments and laws and regulations affecting fire prevention or fire safety.
- Organizes and trains personnel to carry out fire protection programs.
- Conducts research on fire retardants and fire safety of materials and devices to determine cause and methods of fire prevention.
- Studies buildings to evaluate fire prevention factors, resistance of construction, contents, water supply and delivery, and exits.
- Conducts research to evaluate safety levels for products.
- Investigates causes of accidents, injuries, or illnesses from product usage to develop solutions to minimize or prevent recurrence.
- Participates in preparation of product usage and precautionary label instructions.
- Prepares reports of findings from investigation of accidents.
- Advises and recommends procedures for detection, prevention, and elimination of physical, chemical, or other product hazards.
- Evaluates potential health hazards or damage which could occur from misuse of product and engineers solutions to improve safety.