DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
19-1042 Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
Occupational Description:Conduct research dealing with the understanding of human diseases and the improvement of human health. Engage in clinical investigation, research and development, or other related activities. Includes physicians, dentists, public health specialists, pharmacologists, and medical pathologists who primarily conduct research. Practitioners who primarily provide medical or dental care or dispense drugs are included in “Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners” (29-1000).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||20||5||$43.18/hr||$6.31/hr||$21.05/hr||$28.90/hr||$43.87/hr||$51.84/hr||$66.51/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists||190||$29.60/hr||N/A|
|Dietitians and Nutritionists||50||$25.90/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
- Plans and directs studies to investigate human or animal disease, preventive methods, and treatments for disease.
- Examines organs, tissues, cell structures, or micro-organisms by systematic observation or using microscope.
- Prepares and analyzes samples for toxicity, bacteria, or microorganisms or to study cell structure and properties.
- Consults with and advises physicians, educators, researchers, and others regarding medical applications of sciences, such as physics, biology, and chemistry.
- Supervises activities of clerical and statistical or laboratory personnel.
- Teaches principles of medicine and medical and laboratory procedures to physicians, residents, students, and technicians.
- Standardizes drug dosages, methods of immunization, and procedures for manufacture of drugs and medicinal compounds.
- Confers with health department, industry personnel, physicians, and others to develop health safety standards and programs to improve public health.
- Plans methodological design of research study and arranges for data collection.
- Analyzes data, applying statistical techniques and scientific knowledge, prepares reports, and presents findings.
- Investigates cause, progress, life cycle, or mode of transmission of diseases or parasites.
- Conducts research to develop methodologies, instrumentation, or identification, diagnosing, and treatment procedures for medical application.
- Studies effects of drugs, gases, pesticides, parasites, or micro-organisms, or health and physiological processes of animals and humans.