DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-1021 Dentists, General
Occupational Description:Examine, diagnose, and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting oral hygiene and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care. Excludes "Prosthodontists" (29-1024), "Orthodontists" (29-1023), "Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons" (29-1022) and "Dentists, All Other Specialists" (29-1029).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||N/A||N/A||$83.99/hr||$13.67/hr||$47.38/hr||$54.30/hr||$70.61/hr||>$80.00/hr||>$80.00/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
Tasks for Dentists, General
- Fills, extracts, and replaces teeth, using rotary and hand instruments, dental appliances, medications, and surgical implements.
- Applies fluoride and sealants to teeth.
- Treats exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments.
- Fills pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
- Examines teeth, gums, and related tissues to determine condition, using dental instruments, x-ray, and other diagnostic equipment.
- Eliminates irritating margins of fillings and corrects occlusions, using dental instruments.
- Plans, organizes, and maintains dental health programs.
- Produces and evaluates dental health educational materials.
- Fits and adjusts prosthodontic appliances in patient's mouth.
- Fabricates prosthodontic appliances, such as space maintainers, bridges, dentures, and obturating appliances.
- Counsels and advises patients about growth and development of dental problems and preventive oral health care services.
- Analyzes and evaluates dental needs to determine changes and trends in patterns of dental disease.
- Restores natural color of teeth by bleaching, cleaning, and polishing.
- Removes pathologic tissue or diseased tissue using surgical instruments.
- Formulates plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
- Treats infected root canal and related tissues.