DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
31-9092 Medical Assistants
Occupational Description:Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician. Excludes "Physician Assistants" (29-1071).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||430||62||$15.66/hr||$0.48/hr||$11.46/hr||$13.24/hr||$15.70/hr||$17.94/hr||$20.50/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses||1,290||$18.30/hr||N/A|
|Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics||180||$13.22/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Medical Assistants
- Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
- Computes and mails monthly statements to patients and records transactions.
- Contacts medical facility or department to schedule patients for tests.
- Performs routine laboratory tests.
- Gives injections or treatments to patients.
- Receives payment for bills.
- Operates x ray, electrocardiograph (EKG), and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Gives physiotherapy treatments, such as diathermy, galvanics, and hydrotherapy.
- Completes insurance forms.
- Lifts and turns patients.
- Inventories and orders medical supplies and materials.
- Hands instruments and materials to physician.
- Schedules appointments.
- Interviews patients, measures vital signs, weight, and height, and records information.
- Maintains medical records.