DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
39-6011 Baggage Porters and Bellhops
Occupational Description:Handle baggage for travelers at transportation terminals or for guests at hotels or similar establishments.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||20||1||$8.19/hr||$0.29/hr||$7.61/hr||$7.92/hr||$8.46/hr||$9.00/hr||$9.32/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food||3,440||$8.69/hr||N/A|
|Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop||370||$8.71/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||370||$9.38/hr||N/A|
|Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers||300||$8.65/hr||N/A|
|Food Servers, Nonrestaurant||260||$10.40/hr||N/A|
|Cargo and Freight Agents||40||$24.13/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Delivers, carries, or transfers luggage, trunks, and packages to/from rooms, loading areas, vehicles, or transportation terminals.
- Supplies guests or travelers with directions, travel information, and other information, such as available services and points of interest.
- Inspects guest's room and explains features, such as night-lock and operation of television.
- Computes and completes charge slips for services rendered and maintains records.
- Transports guests about premises and local area, or calls taxicabs.
- Weighs and bills baggage and parcels for shipment, and arranges for freight to be shipped.
- Completes and attaches baggage claim checks and completes baggage insurance forms.
- Runs errands for guests.
- Arranges for clothing of hotel guests to be cleaned, laundered, or repaired.
- Pages guests in hotel lobby, dining room, or other areas, delivers messages and room service orders.
- Escorts incoming hotel guests to their rooms.
- Sets up display tables, racks, or shelves, and arranges merchandise display for sales personnel.