DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-6013 Medical Secretaries
Occupational Description:Perform secretarial duties using specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties may include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||590||88||$15.95/hr||$0.40/hr||$12.52/hr||$13.61/hr||$15.56/hr||$18.06/hr||$20.78/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||630||$14.53/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||270||$13.69/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||N/A||$13.24/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Medical Secretaries
- Compiles and records medical charts, reports, and correspondence, using typewriter or personal computer.
- Schedules patient diagnostic appointments and medical consultations.
- Takes dictation in shorthand.
- Transmits correspondence and medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax.
- Greets visitors, ascertains purpose of visits, and directs to appropriate staff.
- Routes messages and documents such as laboratory results to appropriate staff.
- Prepares and transmits patients' bills.
- Maintains medical records and correspondence files.
- Answers telephone and directs call to appropriate staff.
- Transcribes recorded messages and practitioner's diagnosis and recommendations into patient's medical record.