DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-3092 Food Batchmakers
Occupational Description:Set up and operate equipment that mixes or blends ingredients used in the manufacturing of food products. Includes candy makers and cheese makers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||N/A||36||$9.91/hr||$0.35/hr||$7.88/hr||$8.40/hr||$9.24/hr||$11.21/hr||$13.86/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
Tasks for Food Batchmakers
- Calculates ingredient amounts to formulate or modify recipes to produce food product of specific flavor, texture, clarity, bouquet, and color.
- Homogenizes or pasteurizes material to prevent separation of substances or to obtain prescribed butterfat content.
- Separates, spreads, kneads, spins, casts, cuts, or rolls food product by hand or using machine.
- Gives directions to other workers who are assisting in batchmaking process.
- Records amounts of ingredients used, test results, and time cycles.
- Grades food product according to government regulations or according to type, color, bouquet, and moisture content.
- Cools food product batch on slabs or in water-cooled kettle.
- Tests food product sample for moisture content, acidity level, or butter-fat content.
- Examines, feels, and tastes product to evaluate color, texture, flavor, and bouquet.
- Mixes or blends ingredients, according to recipe, using paddle or agitator.
- Stirs and cooks ingredients at specified temperatures.
- Operates refining machine to reduce size of cooked batch.
- Measures and weighs ingredients, using English or metric measures and balance scales.
- Determines mixing sequence, based on knowledge of temperature effects and solubility and miscibility properties of specific ingredients.
- Fills processing or cooking container, such as water-cooled kettle, steam-jacketed rotating cooker, pressure cooker, or vat, with ingredients, following recipe.