DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4062 Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Lay out, machine, fit, and assemble castings and parts to metal or plastic foundry patterns, core boxes, or match plates.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||10||5||$20.59/hr||$1.14/hr||$13.83/hr||$17.71/hr||$20.97/hr||$23.80/hr||$27.09/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||80||$15.43/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
- Sets up and operates machine tools, such as milling machines, lathes, drill presses, and grinders, to machine castings or pattern.
- Operates welding equipment to weld pattern together.
- Cleans and fine finishes pattern or template, using emery cloth, files, scrapers, and power grinders.
- Marks identification numbers or symbols onto pattern or template.
- Repairs and reworks templates and patterns.
- Covers or sprays pattern used in producing plastic with plastic-impregnated fabric or coat of sealing lacquer or wax.
- Constructs platforms, fixtures, and jigs for holding and placing patterns.
- Makes templates or files for own use in inspection and finishing of particular shape.
- Assembles pattern sections, using hand tools, bolts, screws, rivets, or glue.
- Studies blueprint of part to be cast or pattern to be made, computes dimensions, and plans sequence of operations.
- Designs and develops template or pattern according to work orders, sample parts, or mockups.
- Lays out and draws or scribes pattern onto material, using compass, protractor, ruler, scribe, or other instruments.
- Verifies conformance of pattern or template dimensions to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, scales, and micrometers.
- Cuts, trims, shapes, and forms patterns or templates, using hand tools and power tools.