DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-8021 Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
Occupational Description:Operate or maintain stationary engines, boilers, or other mechanical equipment to provide utilities for buildings or industrial processes. Operate equipment, such as steam engines, generators, motors, turbines, and steam boilers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||180||21||$26.23/hr||$0.68/hr||$20.87/hr||$23.85/hr||$26.31/hr||$28.79/hr||$31.76/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||420||$19.93/hr||N/A|
|Power Plant Operators||180||$34.69/hr||N/A|
|Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||150||$26.84/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||120||$20.27/hr||N/A|
|Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood||80||$13.39/hr||N/A|
|Maintenance Workers, Machinery||60||$20.49/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||40||$14.20/hr||N/A|
|Mechanical Door Repairers||40||$17.85/hr||N/A|
|Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||N/A||$22.13/hr||N/A|
|Gas Plant Operators||N/A||$27.89/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Tends boilers and equipment to supply and maintain steam or heat for buildings, marine vessels, or operation of pneumatic tools.
- Shovels coal or coke into firebox to feed fuel, using hand tools.
- Tests sample quality to ensure sample meets specifications, using testing devices.
- Obtains samples from designated location on boiler and carries samples to testing laboratory.
- Records test results on specified form and gives to worker or supervisor.
- Cleans and maintains heating and steam boilers and equipment, using hand tools.
- Installs burners and auxiliary equipment, using hand tools.
- Moves controls and observes gauges to regulate heat and steam.
- Ignites fuel in burner using torch or flame.
- Adjusts controls and valves on equipment to provide power and regulate and set operations of system and industrial processes.
- Lubricates, maintains, and repairs equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Tests electrical system to determine voltage, using voltage meter.
- Adds chemicals or tends equipment to maintain temperature of fluids or atmosphere or to prevent scale buildup.
- Cleans equipment, using airhose, brushes, and rags, and drains water from pipes and air reservoir.
- Records temperature, pressure, water levels, fuel consumption, and other data at specified intervals in logbook.
- Reads dials of temperature, pressure, and ampere gauges and meters to detect malfunctions and ensure specified operation of equipment.
- Inspects equipment to determine need for repair, lubrication, or adjustment.
- Lights burners and opens valves on equipment, such as condensers, pumps, and compressors, to prepare system for operation.